An Import Clerk works to manage and oversee imported goods into a country. Import Clerk jobs involve charging, costing and arranging the movement of goods and flow of paperwork to ensure Customs clearances are obtained quickly and deliveries are made in good time.
An Import Clerk may work with imports that are shipped using sea, air and/or road freight. They will generally be responsible for managing the full import process for a shipment, from start to finish. An Import Clerk will liaise with overseas offices, partners and agents.
- Internet research
- Strong communication skills (written and verbal)
- Answering incoming calls
- Dealing with email enquiries
- Data entry
- General office management
- Handling claims and regularisations
- Degree in Administration, or related field
- The ability to process large of numerical data and documents
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Work for a freight forwarder/agent or directly for an importer who is based in the country where goods are being delivered.
- Responsible for the movement of goods from another country, ensuring transit and delivery is made on time. This means that you will liaise regularly with overseas offices, partners or agents.
- Responsible for arranging and completing all associated paperwork, which documents the nature of the goods being imported from abroad and that they are legal and legitimate.
- Imports are generally subject to import quotas, tariffs, trade agreements and Revenue and Customs regulations
- Responsible for job costing and ensuring maximum profitability for their organisation.
- Sometimes you must check goods as they arrive against paperwork to ensure all goods ordered are accounted for.
- Establishing contacts and relationships with Customs to ensure efficient transfer of goods through the legal process.
- Managing deadlines and sometimes difficult situations. Negotiation is therefore required in order to be able to meet timescales.
Job Type: Full-time
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
Supplemental payment types:
- Holiday pay